Building A Better Future For women's Soccer In Mayo

Irish cup



Soccer: Mighty Mayo

Ladies’ Irish Cup – first round
Mayo 2, Wexford 1

Perfect conditions greeted the Mayo and Wexford Ladies in this Irish Cup clash in Milebush Sunday Afternoon. With the pitch in immaculate condition, excuses for poor play were never an option. Mayo dominated from the whistle under the careful supervision of Straide & Foxford man – Aiden Flatley and Wexford’s goalkeeper, Tanya Walker was left to pick up the pieces on numerous occasions in the opening minutes.
Combination play between Clara Cooke and Emma Mullin made the Wexford defence look helpless on numerous occasions.
The first real chance of the game came in the sixth minute when a Michelle Ruane pass fell to the feet of Mullin but she underestimated her own power and sent the ball high and over the crossbar.
Wexford gradually settled and started to push forward but to no avail. The 14th minute saw Mullin again win the ball in mid-field and attack. After beating a line of defenders, Niamh Lacey in the Wexford defence had no option but to drag her down inside the box. The referee made the only decision viable and awarded the Mayo side a penalty. Michelle Ruane stepped up to the task and without hesitation, struck the ball to the back of the net.
Wexford, looked beaten from this point, with Mayo controlling throughout the field. Cooke, Lacey and Dinan all played a vital role in keeping Mayo on track while Kiltimagh /Knock United star Lisa Webb and Foxford’s Michelle Ruane stood tall keeping the defence under wraps.
A clash just before the interval brought Deirdre Ruane into the action for Mayo when Karen Lacey left the pitch wounded. Mayo took to the break already looking like clear winners on the field.
The second half started like a reproduction of the first as Cooke again continued to push forward for Mayo. The second minute saw Cooke’s shot saved again but Walker couldn’t manage to hold onto the ball. A follow through by Mullin hit the back of the net putting Mayo two goals ahead.
Changes were made to both sides midway through the half. The most notable of these been the introduction of Ballinrobe’s, Meave Ann O’Reilly, to Mayo’s midfield. Wexford started to push for a comeback late in the half with Isobel Naughter and Celine Slye making some credible breaks throughout the pitch. All forward ball for Mayo seemed to be going too far for the strikers to control leaving Hanahoe and Mullin strolling behind the pace of the game.
The 89th minute brought about some consolation for the Wexford side when a ball from substitute, Bridget McDonnell picked out Slye in the goal mouth. Slye did what was asked and sent the ball to the back of the net. Unfortunately for the long travelled Wexford side this comeback was too late. Deservedly, The Mayo girls will go on to fight another day in the Irish Cup.

MAYO: Aisling Concannon, Lisa Webb, Karen Lacey, Meave Murphy, Michelle Ruane, Laura Dinan, Cara Cooke, Ann Curtain, Aine McCleen, Emma Mullin, Aoife Hanahoe. Subs: Deirdre Ruane, Jessica Galligan, Orla Gallagher, Maeve Ann O’Reilly.
WEXFORD: Tanya Walker, Niamh Lacey, Sara Merigan, Karen Jones, Isobel Naughter, Martina Pender, Kim Walker, Laura Hefferon, Diana Livingstone, Celine Slye, Leona Gleeson. Subs: Anna Whilipple, Bridget McDonald, Aisling Kavanagh, Martia Flood, Marion Kavanagh. 

Irish Cup Result

WFAI Senior Cup
 Mayo League
TBA, Sunday, 23rd October 2005 - 2:30 PM

Match Report |

Students dumped out of WFAI Senior Cup by Mayo League

25th October '05

On a beautiful morning for football in Belfield Park last Sunday, UCD lost their first game in domestic competition since the 14th August 2003.

The Students started brightly enough, creating a number of half chances and playing some good possession football. However clear-cut chances were proving difficult to create and the few chances which fell to the Students were wasted. The Mayo League were content to sit back and hit UCD on the break and this plan worked to perfection.

Two goals ten minutes either side of half time left the students with an uphill battle on their hands. Both of these goals followed UCD attacks and punished some slack UCD defending to the maximum. They were to prove the only two chances which Mayo had in the game and were finished excellently.

The Students pulled one goal back from a Kissane header off a corner, but despite having 90% of the possession for the remainder of the game and hitting the woodwork three times, it was not to be UCD’s day.

UCD will be doubly disappointed to see their astonishing undefeated run come to an end, along with their chances of competing in the UEFA Cup next year.

Irish cup 2005

Soccer: Injury time heartbreak for unlucky Mayo

Peamount (Dublin) 2, Mayo League 1

The concession of a 91st minute goal, a wonder strike from 35 yards, ended the Mayo League’s aspirations of progressing to the coveted WFAI final on Sunday last, as Aidan Flately’s team lost out to the odd goal in three against Peamount - one of the country’s most successful ladies Soccer outfits.
In a game that could have gone either way, Mayo were forced to surrender a first half one goal lead, but were more than worthy of at least taking the game to extra time - which for so long, looked like it would be the case.
Instead, they headed home West contemplating what might have been, but no player could be faulted for their efforts and in the end, Mayo were only beaten by two sublime finishes from the hosts.
Mayo began the game brightest and could have taken the lead as early as the fifth minute when Killala’s Aoife Herbert raced down the left wing, cut inside, and shot against the post.
Having survived a couple of goalmouth scares, Mayo did then manage to capitalise on their pressure when opening the scoring in the 20th minute.
Peamount didn’t seem to think that there was much threat to their goal with Emma Mullen standing over a free-kick 30 yards from goal, but when the Balinrobe Town player’s blistering effort rebounded back into play off the crossbar, Ballina’s Cara Cooke was quickest to react and she fired the ball to the back of the net to give Mayo a deserved lead.
However, Peamount are not second only to U.C.D. in the Dublin league for no reason and within five minutes they had managed to plunder an equaliser in spectacular fashion - finding the top corner of Katrina Connolly’s net from all of 25 yards.
Lesser teams may have crumbled when playing away from home, but the relative inexperience of Mayo at this level failed to show, and beginning the second half like they had done the first, the visitors looked well capable of competing at this level.
It was to be expected that as the game progressed, the home team would press forward in search of a winner.
In trying to prevent such a scenario, Mayo’s Republic of Ireland international, Karen Lilly, and Straide and Foxford United’s Michelle Ruane, were outstanding in the heart of the defence.
But just as the game appeared destined for extra-time, a moment of magic from the home team helped book them their place in the final - much to the despair of Mayo, as goalkeeper Katrina Connolly agonisingly got her hand to a 35 yard strike on goal, but couldn’t prevent the leather from crashing off the underside of the crossbar and into the back of the net.
It was the cruelest of endings for an excellently prepared Mayo team who could have so easily claimed victory.
With Peamount’s second goal arriving one minute into stoppage time, there was little chance of Mayo rescuing the situation and instead, they must now look forward to the formation of a regional inter-county league in which to hone their skills on a more regular basis.
Unlucky to lose, Mayo’s Emma Mullen always looked capable of grabbing a goal for the visitors, while elsewhere, Laura Dinan was tireless in her work at midfield and Michelle Ruane and Karen Lilly excelled in defence.

Mayo League: Katrina Connolly, Lisa Webb, Michelle Ruane, Karen Lilly, Karen Lacey, Cara Cooke, Laura Dinan, Ann Curtain, Maeve Murphy, Aoife Herbert, Emma Mullen. Subs used: Aoife Hanahoe, Maeve Ann Reilly, Rachael King. 

Mayo VS Roscommon

Soccer: Mayo ladies get new league campaign off to a perfect start

Mayo Ladies 3 Roscommon 1

MAYO ladies played their first match in the new inter county league on Friday night last when they took on Roscommon ladies in Dunmore under lights.

Despite the very cold night Mayo brought with them a large following who were treated to a every exciting game.

Mayo started the brighter and would have been ahead if it wasn’t for some wayward shooting.

Mayo were trying out new players for this league campaign and had left some more experienced players on the bench and must have been regretting their decision when, after 25 minutes, a Roscommon corner saw the ball nestled in the back of the Mayo net.

Mayo didn’t panic but were still finding it hard to breakdown a Roscommon team that defended in numbers and used the Jack Charlton method of high ball out of defence and put the Mayo defence under pressure but they found the pairing of Michelle Ruane and Karen Lilly in the Mayo defence equal to their efforts.

Mayo had their long kicker also in the goal-keeper Katrina Connolly and it was from her long kick out, that found Emma Mullin in space, who released a shot that could only be parried by the Roscommon keeper into the path of the ever ready Aoife Herbert who had a simple tap in just before half time.

Mayo improved no end after the break with some great passing between players and it wasn’t long before Emma Mullin had the ball in the Roscommon net with a one touch delightful chip over the advancing keeper.

From this point on Mayo never looked like losing. Ann Curtain was replaced by Maeve Murphy in the 60th minute and settled in well.

Aine McLean replaced Karen Lilly with Mary Gill coming on for Rachel King. Mayo continued to press forward and were rewarded in the 72nd minute when another chip over the Roscommon keeper after along ball from Michelle Ruane found Emma Mullin who wasted no time in flicking the ball to Aoife Herbert to finish in style.

MAYO: K. Connolly, K. Lilly, M. Ruane, D. Ruane, C. Cooke, A. Gallagher, M. Carter, A. Curtain, L. Webb, M. Murphy, A. McLean, A. Herbert, R. King, M. Gill, E. Mullin, K. Walsh, F. McLoughlin,V. Killoran

Inter-county league

Soccer: Banner girls full value for league points

Mayo 1 Clare 2

CONDITIONS were perfect for this Inter-county League clash on Sunday in Milebush Park. While the home side were first to put away a goal, it was the more defiant and deserving Clare side that went home victorious.

The game took off with both sides mounting severe pressure throughout the field. After fifteen minutes of somewhat inconsistent football from both sides, Clare finally looked like they were about to take charge of the game.

Clever play from Celina Moylan and Clare Wherley had the Mayo girls chasing shadows on a couple of occasions, but luckily for the home side, Karen Lilly stood strong in the centre of defence, averting the danger on numerous occasionsfor the home side.

Clare continued to dominate, however, and prominent passing techniques and long-range shooting gave them the upper hand and it wasn’t until the 28th minute that a notable spell of pressure emerged from the Mayo side.

After a spree of impressive dummies, a well directed cross from Aoife Herbert fell to the feet of Ann Curtain. Curtain didn’t manage to get her weight behind the ball and her powerless shot was easily picked up by the Clare keeper.

From this point onwards Mayo continued to push forward although still never looked to be in control. After 37 minutes of play the home side pushed forward.

A ball from Curtain landed to Martha Carter just inside the box who went on to duly strike the ball powerfully past the Clare defence and goal-keeper. Mayo held onto this one goal advantage into the break but with Clarelooking like the more threatening side, they had it all to do in the second half.

Three minutes into the second half Clare looked like they were going to level affairs with a long range shot from Louise Henchy.

Mayo’s young keeper, Fiona McLoughlin, kept them at bay with a fantastic save, high on her line.

Clare continued to put pressure on Mayo with shots coming in from all angles. McLoughlin was forced to make numerous saves throughout the second half.

As the pressure intensified Webb, Ruane and Murphy all had to make clearances on different occasions but unluckily for them there was no one to pick up on these breakaway opportunities.

Eventully, after 73 minutes a corner from Sarah Considine met the head of Edel Malone. Malone duly knocked the ball to the back of the net for the visiting side.

The goal served to make the Clare side even more hungry and they continued to push forward in search of a winner.

Within four minutes Irene Hehir was dragged down inside the box and the referee awarded the only viable option - a Clare penalty. Star midfielder, Edel Malone, stood up to the challenge and with no hesitation hammered home the winner for the visitors.

From this Clare never looked back. Mayo’s Aoife Hanahoe was unlucky in the 35th minute when her strike deflected the head of a clare defender and went over the bar.

The move of Michelle Ruane from the Mayo defence to midfield opened more chances for the home side but none of these were to prove effective and so it was the stronger and more focussed Clare side that went away with a win.

MAYO: Fiona McLoughlin, Lisa Webb, Meave Murphy, Michelle Ruane, Karen Lilly, Martha Carter, Mary Gill, Meave Ann O’Reilly, Aoife Herbert, Ann Curtain, Aoife Hanahoe.

CLARE: Therese Hartley, Alison Roche, Lisa McCormack, Louise Henchy, Sonya Maher, Sarah Considine, Jenny Gitchley, Edel Malone, Irene Hehir, Celina Moylan, Clare Wherely.