Building A Better Future For women's Soccer In Mayo


match report St Francis 3 - 4 Mayo

Mayo have made a successful start to their season with their last win coming over St.Francis  of Dublin the reining Irish cup champions on May 2nd. Mayo showed great heart after going down 1-0 after 32 seconds in John Hyde park  Dublin from a Sandra Mulhall lob over the keeper  and had to wait until the 34th minute to get back on level terms when Aoife Herbert was fouled inside the area Emma Mullin got the first of her four goals from the penalty spot  and as the clock ticked down to half time a long kick out from mayo keeper Katrina  Connolly bounced into the path of Emma and mayo were 2-1 up going in at half time.

Mayo started the brighter in the second half but the chance of going level fell to Shaorn  Cullen of St.francis  when she linked up with Mary Waldron only to be denied by Connolly in the mayo goal and with 10 minutes gone in the second half Karen Nic lassan found herself in the mayo box after a great ball through from Shauna Cooke  but a brave save from Connolly kept mayo ahead .

After this mayo took full control at mid- field with Cora Staunton and Maz Sweeney breaking up every attack that the Dublin side put together and with both wingers Jackie mulligan and Aileen Gilroy working tirelessly up and down the flanks mayo were in full control another long ball from Connolly was flicked on to the path of Mullin by Cora Staunton Emma lobed the ball over Aine Genockey  into the net and st. Francis were paying for their missed chances .

At this point the darting runs of the mayo striker Aoife Herbert was beginning to frustrate both loise Corrigan and Emily hanney  of st francis they found it very hard to keep track of her but irish international Megan Campbell was standing firm in the fancies defence her long throws and  clearances was keeping St. Francis in the game.

St.francis were thrown a life line in the 62nd minute when Shauna Cookes volley hit the roof of the Mayo net after a great one-two with Sonya Hughes  and Mayo must have felt the roof was about to fall on their Irish cup when Rachel king was sent off after a second yellow card on 65 minutes  the mayo bench quickly rearranged the team taking off Jackie mulligan introducing Katie walsh to partner Yvonne  Byrne in the center of defence and moving Aoife Herbert to the left side of mid-field  this move gave more freedom to irish international Aileen Gilroy to run with the ball and it was from one of these  runs and cross that Emma Mullen gathered the ball, rounded the keeper and finished in style on 74minutes.

Leading 4-2 Mayo decided to shut up shop after this and hold on to their two goal advantage  it was at this point Carol Hegarty Mayos right back playing in her very first game  for mayo and Avril kilkelly continued to shine encouraged by the experienced players like Byrne, Walsh, Sweeney and Connolly  Mayo were holding out. Staunton in the center  of the park was letting Francis away with nothing, challenging for everything even with eight minutes into injury time .

With 98 minutes on the clock Francis introduced their first sub Saidhbh Collins who slipped in behind the Mayo defence from a free kick and scored with her very first touch,but it was not enough against the well organised Mayo team under manager Michael Jennings  who had a plan to win and stuck to it. Mayo  held on to the ball after the kick-off and soon the ref called the end and mayo were in the quarter- final.

MAYO K.Connolly,C.Hegarty,R.King,Y.Byrne,A.Kilkelly,A.Gilroy,M.Sweeney,C.Staunton,J.Mulligan,A.Herbert,E.Mullin(4).

Subs used K.Walsh for Mulligan  (66 min)

Manager: Michael Jennings



A.Genockey,N.Nolan,E.Hanley,L.Corrigan,M.Campbell,K Nic Lassan,S.Hughes,Cooke,S.Mulhall,S.Cullen,M.Waldron.

Subs used S.Collins for K.nic Lassan (98 min)

Manager: Pat Heffernan



Match Report Dundalk 0 - 4 Mayo

Irish Senior Women’s Cup

Dundalk 0 – 4 Mayo

Mayo may not be participating in this year’s All-Ireland ladies Gaelic football but their soccer counterparts are blazing a trail in pitches around the country.

After their win over St.Francis the reigning Irish cup champions on May second in Dublin they took to the road again last Sunday to league of Ireland club Dundalk fc in oriel park in Dundalk.

Mayo showed no signs of the long journey and started best and had the ball in the Dundalk net within three minutes when Emma Mullin finished off some good passing move involving  maz Sweeney,cora Staunton and the ever alert Aoife Herbert.

The mayo crowd had barely time to draw breath when after nine minutes Emma popped up to finish another great move that again involved Aoife Herbert this time combining with Aileen Gilroy and Jackie mulligan. Mayo now leading by two the game looked to be going mayo’s way but Dundalk stepped up the pressure in midfield and were beginning to win more and more possession with the very physical Rachel reorder making her presents felt while Cora Staunton battled hard with Emma singleton.

It was at this time that Dundalk enjoyed their best spell from the 12th to the 25th minute but the introduction of Martha carter as a sub soon had the mayo side back on top , this gave more freedom to Cora to run at the Dundalk defence and this she did with propose hitting the crossbar on the half hour mark with ashling dyer helpless in the Dundalk net.

Dundalk were been forced to try shots from their own half which were all ways dealt with by Katrina Connolly in the mayo goal Yvonne Byrne was having her usually solid game supported by carol Hegarty, Avril Kilkelly and Katie Walsh who had come on as a sub in the st.francis game and had keep her place in the mayo team.

Mayo had three more chances before the break but shots from Emma Mullin, Aoife Herbert and Cora Staunton went narrowly wide, so mayo went in two goals to the good at half time.

Dundalk appeared a full seven minutes late for the start of the second half but when they did the were full of fire mayo weathered the storm and when Aoife Herbert crossed for Emma on the fifteen minute she looked sure to score but a push on the back by Niamh Mc Carty took her down and the referee pointed to the spot and Emma converted her own penalty and for the second time in a row she had completed her hat trick in a Irish cup match.

Mayo freshen up the team with the introduction of Niamh Barrett with 60 minutes on the clock she had an immediately impact closing down players and setting up the play for mayo but the move of the game came from inside the mayo half from the right wing  where carol Hegarty  passed to Aileen Gilroy to Cora in the middle of the park to Martha to Emma all done with one touch football  but a heavy tackle on Emma just outside the area meant the Emma had to be replaced because of a bruised foot by Annie lynskey with 15 minutes to go and it was that player that started the move that lead to mayo’s fourth goal with the mayo crowd on their feet roaring they on Niamh Barrett, Cora Staunton ,Annie lynskey and Aoife Herbert con verged on the Dundalk goal and anyone of them could have scored but Aoife took it on and hit the ball high into the right had corner of the net it was no more that this team deserved .

They now await the semi-final opponrtants on June 27th.

Katrina Connolly, carol Hegarty ,Katie Walsh, Yvonne Byrne,  Avril Kilkelly , Aileen Gilroy, Cora Staunton,maz Sweeney, Jackie mulligan, Aoife Herbert,E mma Mullin

Subs used; Martha carter for sweeney, Niamh Barrett for Mulligan, Annie lynskey for Mullin

Mayo senior cup



The pitch was in perfect condition which is more than can be said for the weather, it didn’t take Ballina long to settle and within 2 minutes the player of the match Aoife Herbert had the ball in the Knock net to their credit Knock/ Kiltimagh did not panic from this early set back and Yvonne Byrne nearly had the sides level in the 7th minute. 


Knock were missing their firepower up front with Lisa Cafferty having gone to America that morning and the powerhouse of Cora Stanton was unavailable on the day.  Knock had the better of the early exchanges but found it hard to make Ballina pay, injury hit the Ballina team on the 36th minute when Imelda McNulty was carried off with fractured ankle and was replaced by Bridget Stanton, 2 minutes later the same player had the ball in the back of the united net and Ballina looked safe, but just before the break Mayo Soccer star Karen Lilly hit a daisy cutter from 35 metres and the ball nestled in the back of the Ballina net. And so the teams went in at half time with a score of two goals to one.


The second half did not live up to the first half with Yvonne Byrne driving her team forward in hope of an equalizer, the closest they came was a Karen Lilly free kick at 84th minute which sailed harmlessly over the cross bar.  With Knock pushing forward cracks appeared in their back line, with Paula Barrett going close for Ballina in 2 or 3 occasions only to be denied by the excellent goal keeping of Katrina Connelly.


Knock/Kiltimagh did their level best in the final moments of the game and even the introduction of Noelle Gormley for Elizabeth Lavin couldn’t bring this game to extra time so the North Mayo team hung on to record historic victory. 


Best for Knock/Kiltimagh, Katrina Connelly, Anna Farragher, Yvonne Byrne, Karen Lilly, Orla Casby.


Best for Ballina, Imelda McNulty, Jackie Mulligan, Aoife Herbert, Aine McLean.

Kiltimagh/Knock United:

Katrina Connelly, Edel Kilcourse, Elizabeth Lavin, Anna Farragher, Karen Lilly, Yvonne Byrne, Clare Egan, Orla Casby, Clodagh Martin, Maria Coyne, Lisa Webb. Subs: Karen Maloney, Therese Marren, Noelle Gormley.


Ballina Town:

Deirdre Devine, Nicola Leonard, Aine McLean, Orma O’Dowd, Imelda McNulty, Cara Cooke, Hazel McCaffertey, Patricia Coyle, Jackie Mulligan, Ailish Collins, Aoife Herbert.

Subs: Bridget Staunton, Paula Barrett.




Referee Liam McEntee

APRIL 29TH 2007
"Snugboro took on Killala at Conway Park, last Sunday in the Ladies
Shield competition semi-final. Following a bright, sunny mid-day
kick-off, the 'Boro started strongly against the visitors with a number
of attacks on the Killala goal. The first goal came after about 15
minutes into the first half, when a through ball from Caroline Ormsby
found Gillian Conway, who slotted it past the Killala keeper.  Conway
found the net a second time, getting on the end of a cross from Caroline
Hopkins.  Further goals from Caroline Ormsby and Ann Munnelly had it 4-0
to the 'Boro at the break.
In the second half, Killala got stuck in and worked harder, matching
'Boro for effort for a good part of the half. Snugboro however, missed a
couple of chances which could have been converted, and Linda McMenamin
eventually added a fifth for the home team. Killala's efforts finally
paid-off when Karen Ward scored a consolation goal for the visitors.
Snugboro ladies now go on to the final, with an away game in Gurteen,
Co. Sligo this coming Sunday.
Snugboro Team:  Thelma Healy, Ruth Walsh, Ciara Griffin, Caroline
Ormsby, Julie Walsh, Olivia Murphy, Ann Munnelly, Rosie Walsh, Caroline
Hopkins, Helen Hopkins, Gillian Conway (c).  Subs: Bernie Roach, Aileen
Shaw, Linda McNamara, Lisa Halpin, Aoife McHale.
Killala Team:  Colette Barret, Ann Naylor, Kim Donoghue, Aoife Forde,
Eilis McGee, Sara Langdon, Ciara McDonnell, Diane Coyne, Karen Ward,
Emma Gilroy, Yvonne Gilroy, Lorraine Munnelly. Subs: Michelle Munnelly,
Shauna Golden, Carol Munnelly, Teresa Timlin."
Brendan Mullins
PRO Snugboro FC
tel: 087-207 1620




Straide & Foxford Utd 0 Ballinrobe Town 1
In what could be described as a game of two halves, this Mayo Cup Final did not live up to the normal standards that we have come to expect from these two sides. Straide & Foxford dominated the play during the opening half, but were unable to finish off any moves that their superiority deserved. Ballinrobe Town on the other hand created the far more clear-cut chances in the second period, but they too found it difficult to finish off moves that their play warranted.

The first chance of the game fell to Aoife Hanahoe, but she failed to connect properly from Michelle Ruane’s long free kick after 4 minutes. Some two minutes later the same player had her effort well pushed out for a corner by Aisling Concannon in the Ballinrobe goal. A further half chance fell to Patria Jordan, after being put through by Roisin Guiry, but her effort also went wide.

The first real chance for Ballinrobe Town fell to Katie Walsh on the 25th minute after good interplay with Emma Mullin, but her 20 yard effort was deflected out for a corner. Most of the play was in the Ballinrobe half of the pitch, and despite the efforts of Aoife Hanahoe in midfield and having the greater possession they were unable to penetrate a sound Ballinrobe defence in which Ann Moran and Henrietta Walsh were outstanding.

Straide and Foxford were equally strong at the back and with Heather Jordan and Michelle Ruane keeping a tight rein on Emma Mullin and Katie Walsh, Ballinrobe’s options were limited during this opening period.

Ballinrobe upped their performance considerably in the second half with Martha Carter and Maeve Ann O’Reilly dictating matters in the midfield exchanges. Katie Walsh took a more right sided front-runners role in the second half, and avoided the shackles of a solid S&F central defensive pairing, and was putting in some fine crosses. 

The opening minutes of the second half saw Ballinrobe on the attack straight away, and good interplay between Tara Donnelan and Martha Carter set up Katie Walsh only to see her effort well saved by Emma Galligan in the S&F goal. Galligan was in action again in the 15th minute when she went down well to prevent Emma Mullin from scoring. A cross-field pass from Martha Carter set up Katie Walsh in the 18th minute, but once again goalkeeper Galligan held Walsh’s pile driver.

Ballinrobe should have take the lead when Ann Moran found Emma Mullin in the penalty box, and her effort from an acute angle hit the inside of the post and across the goal line before Galligan collected. This was one of the few occasions that Emma Mullin evaded the shackles of a tight marking Heather Jordan.

Ballinrobe forced a number of corners, and it was from these set pieces that they looked most dangerous. Mullin had a header saved on the line by Galligan after 28 minutes, and Ann Moran hit over from 6 yards from another corner. It was from another well struck corner kick in the 89th minute by Katie Walsh that Emma Mullin back headed the ball into the path of Ann Moran who powered home her header to the back of the net to give Ballinrobe the lead the fully deserved. Straide & Foxford had one final chance themselves in added time when Aoife Hanahoe’s 30-yard free kick went narrowly wide of the post.

Ballinrobe’s best performers on the day were Martha Carter, Ann Moran, Katie Walsh, Emma Mullin, Maeve Ann O’Reilly, and Henrietta Walsh. Outstanding for S&F were Emma Galligan, Heather Jordan, Michelle Ruane, Aoife Hanohoe and Triona McNicholas.

Concannon, Moran, Mullahy, Walsh, Moran, Walsh, Donnellan, O’Reilly, Mullin, Carter, Callaghan subs McHale, Hall, O’Toole, Burke, Maguire, Kavanagh, Flannelly.
Straide & Foxford Utd
Galligan, Ruane, Guiry, Ruane, Higgins, Galligan, Hanohoe, Jordan, Dinan, Jordan, McNicholas subs Costelloe, Coleman, Jordan, Galligan, Carney, Dinan , Gallagher, Doherty, Jennings.
Referee Tony Cosgrove
Player of the match – Ann Moran – solid all round performance and match winning goal.


irish cup 2006



Mayo travelled to Hogan Park in Limerick on Sunday last to take on the home side in the second round of the Irish Senior Cup.
The visitors started brightly, and could have opened their account after just 5 minutes when an Emma Mullin cross was missed on the edge of the Limerick six yard box by the in rushing Catriona McNicolas.
But the travelling supporters didnt have long to wait for the opening goal, courtesy of an Emma Mullin header, taking a deflection off a defender, from a Michelle Ruane corner, after 11 minutes.
Mullin's strike partner Aoife Herbert provided the cross for the second goal on 15 minutes and it looked like it was going to be a rout for the visitors. But Limerick took the game to Mayo for the next 18 minutes, and were  unlucky to be caught on the counter attack when mid field lynch pin Katie Walsh nodded on a clearence for her club team mate Emma Mullin to run on to and complete her hat trick on 34 minutes.
Four minutes later Jackie Mulligan showed excellent control in the Limerick area to turn and shot in the one move and beat the home keeper at the near post to leave the half time score 0-4 to Mayo.
The second half was only 11 minutes old when Emma Mullin started her second hat trick. A delightful chip by Aoife Herbert was taken in her stride by Mullin who finished with ease.
Karen Lilly provided the through ball 2 minutes later for Emma's fifth, and Maeve Murphy crossed 25 minutes into the second half for her sixth and Mayo's seventh.
All in all Mayo's approach play and clinical finishing was excellent with Emma Mullin showing no ill effects after 5 weeks out with ankle ligiment damage.
Aoife Herbert was a super provider on the day, and both Katie Walsh and Karen Lilly revelled in their midfield roles.
Jackie Mulligan sent in many excellent crosses from the left, and worked back when needed.
The quality of opposition will test Mayo in the next round, and although Limerick were well beaten on the day, they found ways around the Mayo defence, particularly down the wings.
Mayo team;
Catriona Connelly (Gurteen), Michelle Ruane(Straid &Foxford), Maeve Murphy(Castlebar Celtic), Deirdre Ruane(Straid & Foxford), Aine McClean(Ballina Town), Katie Walsh(Ballinrobe), Karen Lilly(Kiltamagh/Knock), Catriona McNicolas(straide and foxford), Jackie Mulligan(Ballina Town),Emma Mullin(Ballinrobe), Aoife Herbert.(Ballina Town)
Subs used; Ann Curtin(Castlebar Celtic) for Emma Mullin, Aoife Hanahoe(Straid & Foxford) for Katie Walsh, Annie Lynskey(Kilmore) for Aoife Herbert.


wilton 2  - 2 mayo (2 -3 aet)



On a dark wet grey weekend at the end of October 2006 mayo took the long trip to cork to play wilton in the wfai ¼ final senior cup.

The wilton pitch was unplayable so they played in bishoptown.

Wilton started the better and were winning  midfield and had the mayo defence under pressure from the start.

Wilton passed the ball better while mayo struggled to keep up with the pace of the game and thanks to good defending from karan lilly, michelle ruane, aine mclean and Annette Gallagher they could have been ahead.

But if wilton where winning midfield mayo were holding their own in other parts of the pitch and when emma mullin broke free of her marker only to see her shot rebound off the wilton keeper mags cummins and be cleared by wilton defence.

The next time emma broke her marker dee callanan make sure she would not score by fouling her in the penalty area the ref had no option but to award a penalty to mayo, up stepped mullin to place the ball in the top corner of the net mayo were one nil up against  the run of play.

Wilton created chance also but were been forced to shoot from distance and finding byrne in top form in the mayo goal  but she could do nothing about the wilton goal when it came from a free kick out on the left wing hit with perfection by corks youngest player amanda parkes to the mayo net.

Mayo changed the formation then moving michelle ruane to the midfield this had a immediate   effect  and now mayo were holding wilton to at least 50 – 50 ball winning

The score stayed 1-1 for the rest of the half with mullin being adjudged off side seven times in the first half twelve times in the coarse of the game some seemed very very tight but she kept the wilton defence on their toes.

Wilton exposed the three player mayo defence when mayo’s  Karen lilly seemed to be pushed and fouled but with no whistle from the ref byrne could only get a touch as the ball hit  the back of the mayo net in the 53rd minutes from a strike by essmay mannix this heralded big celebration from the wilton crowd   and they must have felt that the could go on and win this game as they up the tempo and so many of the mayo passes going astray in the long cork grass but mayo never gave up and Herbert and mullin chasing everyball but as in the first half they were caught offside too many times.

Mayo introduced patricia coyle for mcnicholas who had run her legs off coping with helping in the back line and midfield they moved Katie walsh to the right wing and coyle to the centre of the field to help marta carter and michelle ruane and with jackie mulligan on the left this gave mayo a big advantage and they began to take control of the game . 

cheered on from the mayo  bench mayo pressed on and won a free kick in much the same postion as wilton did in the first half  michelle ruane took it her trusted right foot struck the ball high in the wilton penalty area the ball could only  helped to the back of the wilton net by a wilton head.

That is the way it finished in normal time so the tired teams faced anthor 30 minutes of football it was now down to fitness and mayo showed the better level as they pushed for awinner inspired by Karen lilly who was player of the match mayo put the wilton defence under pressure and the ball was more time over the sideline that in the mayo half of the pitch it was at this point that mayos aoife Herbert came in to her own with her running at a very tired wilton defence and it was from one of these runs that she released emma mullin to finished to the back of the wilton net with seven minutes left. wilton tried to get on level  terms  this left gaps in wiltons defence but mayo were happy just to hold on to the ball till the end and reach the semi-final of the cup on November 19th.














today in milebush castlebar in atrocious conditions mayo kept their dream of a irish cup alive against lifford of clare.

liford were hoping to repeat the 2002 final showpiece when they lost to ucd but it was not to be.

mayo started the brighter and had the ball in the lifford net after sixteen minutes when for one of the very few times that

emma mullin was allowed space she picked her spot in the top corner from outside the box for a superb goal

 and mayo were one nil up.

a few minutes later aoife herbert who had passed a very late fittness  nearly doubled the mayo advantage ,but susan mcnamara came out of the lifford goal to narrow the angle and the chance was gone.

lifford gradually eased their way into the game and began to get on top they had their best chance to equalise moments before half time when Jenny Crithley was set free by Lynn Marie Grant and her firm near post effort was tipped away by the Mayo 'keeper Yvonne Byrne. 

Lifford ended the first half on the attack and contined the second half on the same vein.  but were finding the Mayo defenders equal to their efforts which most of them from long range.  Aine McLean was coping with Jenny Crithley very well but Lifford were controlling midfield until the introduction of Patricia Coyle to midfield this gave Martha Cartha more support and indeed Martha nearly scored in the 75th minute but her shot when over the bar.  Lifford introduced their two subs Lynsey McKee and Alison Roche but they had little or no effect on the game.

mayo lead by michelle ruane got stronger in the last fifteen minutes with vice-captain karen lilly cuting out any danger from mary tierney,irene hehir or jenny critchley.

so as time ticked away mullin came back to the center of the park and mayo were on their way to dublin for a date with ucd in the wfai cup final.

disapointing for the lifford with their larger support but they can be proud of the run they had in this years cup beating dundalk,the combined counties and the cork league. as the rain poured down in castlebar the mayo teams senior cup adventure continues. the lifford team and management wished mayo the very best of luck in the final .

the mayo league would like to thank the milebush committee, jeremy dee,midwewst radio,cathy jennings,all the local papers,aiden flatley and all the people that turned out and hope they can join them again on saturday december 2nd in richmont park in dublin @7 o'clock to see mayo lift their first senior cup.

A beautifully chipped goal by Aoife Herbert after 10 minutes was good enough to see the Mayo League side win the Irish Women's Senior Cup Final for the first time over the much fancied U.C.D. side in Richmond Park tonight.


U.C.D.  0  Mayo League  1

A brilliantly taken goal after 10 minutes saw Mayo win this Irish Cup for the first time.  Mayo had to survive a second half onslaught from the U.C.D. side in wet and windy Richmond Park.

This was a performance of character and guts by a Mayo side that were not going to be beaten on the night.   There were many fine individual performances, but this was an overall team display of sheer endeavour.

Mayo started of somewhat tentatively, and maybe showed a bit too much respect for their more illustrious opponents.  U.C.D. with more or less a country pick of the best talent around, displayed many fine footballing qualities, but just did not have the firepower up front to finish off some fine moves.  On the other hand, a fine Mayo defensive unit led by Karen Lilly at the back never really allowed the U.C.D. front runners too much time or space on the ball to really test Yvonne Byrne in the Mayo goal - they had to settle for long range efforts for most of the game despite their dominance. 

Mayo's first attempt on goal arrived after 8 minutes when Emma Mullin latched on to a rebound from her original free kick to shave the cross bar and go over.  Mayo's golden goal was scored after ten minutes when the hard working Katie Walsh set up Aofe Herbert - Herbert ran at the U.C.D. goal from 50 yards, and with the goalkeeper advancing she chipped over her to score what turned out to be the winner.  Despite a lot of midfield possession U.C.D. were restricted to long range efforts which were dealt with capably by the Mayo custodian, and some poor finishing.

Mayo had one further chance in the opening period when Aoife Herbert set up Emma Mullin after 32 minutes, but the U.C.D. goalkeeper did well to save her effort.  Despite U.C.D's dominance, Mayo were always dangerous and threatening on the counter attack with both Aoife Herbert's pace, and the guile and skill of Emma Mullin causing havoc in the U.C.D. defence whenever they attacked.

The second period could only be described as an never ending onslaught from U.C.D. with the vast amount of the play being dominated by U.C.D. - once again they were unable to penetrate a resolute Mayo defence.  Mayo held out, to be crowned champions for the first time.


Report from F.A.I. website:-

Date: Saturday, 02 December 2006
Section: Womens (Senior)

With a massive vocal following behind them at Richmond Park, Mayo faced heavy pressure for large parts of the game but held on to claim the victory thanks to Herbert’s strike.

Going into the game having gone one better than their best placed finish of semi finalists last year, Mayo’s early lead was crucial against a side who have dominated Irish women’s soccer in recent years.

Following up early snapshots from both sides respectively in the opening ten minutes, Herbert’s pace took her away from the UCD defence after a great through ball and she calmly chipped the advancing goalkeeper.

Mayo keeper Yvonne Byrne was lucky to survive a hand ball outside the area minutes later, as UCD pushed forward immediately and Karina Kelly saw her long range effort flash wide.

With Herbert and Mullin up front for Mayo a constant threat on the break and Gee and Jenkins in the middle of the park for UCD pulling the strings, the game swung from end to end through both side’s contrasting sides.

Jackie Mulligan was unlucky not to double Mayo’s lead after half an hour, when her six yard shot was deflected and Byrne at the other end was forced into a superb one handed save from Mulhall’s curling effort.

Despite flashes of brilliance from the Mayo front players UCD dominated possession for the final twenty minutes of the half and a combination of miss-placed passes and last-ditch tackles denied them an equaliser.

In keeping with the pattern of the game and Mayo’s ability to break with pace, Herbert should have doubled her side’s lead before the break, when she broke again, only to over-run the ball on this occasion.

Beginning the second half with the same control they ended the first, UCD should have equalised within a minute when Sandra Mulhall volleyed wide from six yards when she found herself free at the back post.

Midfielder Elaine Cohalan missed another glorious chance two minutes later when she found herself free three yards out, however somehow managed to direct her header the wrong way and away from goal after a left hand side free kick.

Despite twenty-five minutes of stalemate from both sides, U.C.D had long-range effort from Jenkins and Mulhall, followed by a miss-directed header from Sharon Cullen that reminded Mayo of the threat they possessed.

Defending a one goal lead and with the clock ticking away, Mayo were content to sit back and counter, with a last ditch tackle from Niamh Connolly denying Emma Mullin a clear run on goal.

Despite a final five minutes spent under siege form U.C.D pressure Mayo held for a victory that meant so much to women’s soccer in Mayo.

Speaking after the game, Mayo manager Aiden Flatley emphasised the importance of the win, “This will just do unbelievable things for women’s football in Mayo and I am so proud of the girls tonight,” said the manager.

“We knew how strong they were and came in with a game plan and the girls carried it out really top class,” he added






national cup for ballina
Ballina Town Ladies took on Ballincollig of Cork in Jackman Park in Limerick on Sunday last looking to become the third Mayo side, and the first Mayo Ladies side, to bring a national title back to the county.
Although Ballina had disposed of Shiven Rovers, Galway Bohemians,Greenpark and Glen Celtic along their way, their opponents in the final had proven themselves against much stronger opposition in defeating Lifford, Aisling Annacotty, Bandon, Stella Maris and Mungret.
Cup finals are all about 'on the day' and Sunday belonged to Ballina Town.
Straight from the kick off Aoife Herbet cruised past the Ballincollig defence and had her shot well saved by Lisa O Mahony in the southsiders goal.
The immediate response from the Cork side was an attack that led to a Katie Ritson volley flying just wide.
But with Ballincollig doing all the attacking, it was Ballina Town who took the lead against the run of play in the 12th minute.
A cross from the right by Jackie Mulligan should have been collected by the Cork keeper, but she hesitated and Paula Barrett nipped in to toe poke the ball to the net.
And only one minute more had passed when a ball over the top by Hazel McCafferty was latched onto by Aoife Herbet whose shot was saved and spilled by Lisa O Mahony. Aoife  followed up and tapped the ball into the empty net to give Ballina a two nil lead.
Ballincollig composed themselves and reduced the arrears on 22 minutes when an Elaine Kavanag free kick from 25 yards was adjudged to have crossed the line by the assistant referee, much to the amazement of all the supporters.
The best chance of the remainder of the half fell to Claudine Myles who ran through the Ballina defence only for Deirdre Devine to stand tall in the Ballina goal and save well.
Two one at half time, and Ballina took up where they left off in the second half. A right wing run by Aoife Herbet resulted in a good cross that Patricia Coyle should have connected with, but with the goal at her mercy, she misjudged the flight of the ball.
But Ballincollig were having their chances too. A beautiful cross from Shirley Desmond found Courtney Collins unmarked at the back post, but her first time volley was high and wide.
Katie Ritson was next to have a shot on the turn but it went just over the Ballina cross bar.
In between these chances Aoife Herbet had two long range strikes that were just too high.
At this stage throughout the field, Aine McLean was looking very solid at the back for Ballina, and her distribution from the centre of the defence was helping Ballina to hold pocession.
Eimear Feerick and Olivia McGloin were very much on top of their game and snuffed out each Ballincollig attack.
But the introduction of Aoife McCarty for Katie Ritson on the right wing had a profound effect on the Ballincollig side. Aoife gave the Cork side a new injection of pace and her approach work on 37 minutes lead to Claudine Myles grabbing the equaliser from close range.
The impetus was now with the Cork outfit and as the game moved towards extra time it looked as if the Mayo side might struggle to keep up with the Leesiders new lease of life.
Then, 4 minutes into injury time, Patricia Coyle got on the ball in the centre circle and got away from her marker. With the Ballincollig back line having pushed up she found herself with a clear run on goal. 
Although she had one defender to beat, the ex-Erris Utd player maintained control and finished superbly from 18 yards to score a goal worthy of winning any cup final.
After the game Sligo based Ballina captain Jacqueline Mulligan thanked the loyal band of supporters and the clubs sponsors for helping the club to reach such a momentous occasion.
Ballina:Deidre Devine,Eimear Feerick,Olivia McGloin,Aine McLean,Nicola Lenord,Carra Cooke,Hazel McCafferty,Patricia Coyle,Jackie Mulligan,Aoife Herbet,Paula Barrett.Subs: Bridgit Staunton,Imelda McNulty,Marilyn McHale,Liat Barrett,Aoife Mangan.
Ballincollig:Lisa O Mahony,Patricia Quinn,Elaine Kavanag,Debbie Coomey,Ashling Kenny,Courtney Collins,Shirley Desmond,Claudine Myles,Sinead Keenan,Victoria St Ledger,Katie Ritson. Subs: Charlotte Chaill,Jennifer Walsh,Aoife McCarty,Selena O Mahony

mary walsh cup 2006

Mary Walsh Cup, Group 3, Round 1

Kilmore Ladies 2, Ballina Town Ladies 1.

Kilmore Ladies caused a major upset when they defeated Ballina Town Ladies by two goals to one in Drum on Sunday last. What made this an even bigger upset was that Kilmore played the entire game with only nine players and the fact that only two weeks earlier Ballina had beaten them by nine goals to nil.

The game itself was played in atrocious conditions with Kilmore playing into the strong wind in the first half. Kilmore started much the better as Ballina failed to make their numerical advantage count and on ten minutes they took the lead when the two Ballina
defenders failed to deal with a long freekick and Annie Lynsky nipped in between them to take control of the ball and she skillfully rounded the keeper and slotted the ball into the empty net. This goal came as a wake up call Ballina and they started to play much
better, and came close to equalizing on numerous occasions but the Kilmore defence were proving difficult to breakdown.  When Ballina did manage to get by them Sheila Thompson was in terrific form in the Kilmore goal making some excellent saves to deny Aofie Herbert, Patricia Coyle and Jackie Mulligan.

Just three minutes before half-time Thompson was finally beaten and on this occasion. There was nothing she could do to stop another stunning strike from Herbert, which was equal to the brilliant goal she got for Mayo to win the F.A.I. Cup. This time she picked the ball up just outside the area, turned her marker and fired the ball beyond Thompson and right into the top corner to level the scores at half-time.

Everyone would now have expected Ballina to push on and score two or three more in the second half but Kilmore came out fighting and would not give them any time on the
ball. Most of the second half was played in Kilmore's half with Ballina using the wings to great effect but they just could not find that telling cross to give them the lead.

Kilmore still looked dangerous -on the break and on forty-five minutes they got back into the lead. The tireless Sharon Burke played a long ball out of defence, which was flicked over the defence by Dana Barrett where Annie Lynsky was first to the ball and
she outpaced everybody to get one on one with the keeper but her first shot was well saved by Aine McLean but Lynsky was first to the rebound and she placed the ball into the corner and beyond the reach of McLean to the delight of her teammates.

From then on Ballina had all of the possession, as you would expect with their numerical advantage but Herbert, Coyle and Mulligan all spurned good chances of
leveling the scores and Kilmore held on to record a famous victory.

Their defence was led by Breege Thompson who had an excellent game and she was aided well by her defensive partners especially Rachael Barrett. In front of them Sharon Burke, Annette Gallagher and Brid Murphy never stopped running while Annie Lynsky pace meant she was able to take the only two chances she got to help her team over the finish line. Patricia Coyle, Jackie Mulligan, Marlyn McHale and Aoife Herbert were best for Ballina.

1.S. Thompson, 2.A. Gallagher, 3.B. Thompson, 4.E. O'Malley, 5.B. Murphy, 6.R. Barrett, 7.D. Barrett, 8.S. Burke, 10.A. Lynsky.

Ballina Town:
1.A. McLean, 2.A. Carr, 3.A. Roddy, 4.N. Leonard, 5.E. Golding, 6.E. Ferrick, 7.M. McHale, 8.P. Coyle, 9.C. Lynn, 10.A.Herbert, 11.J. Mulligan. Subs Used: 14. O. McCafferty.

Ref: J. Donoghue.
Report by Kieran Gallagher


Soccer: Westport close in on title

Westport 3, Ballyinrobe 0
Westport's quest for a third Mayo Ladies soccer league title in four years moved a step closer to fulfillment on Sunday last when they beat Ballinrobe at home.
It was a highly impressive performance by the champions, who now have to win only one more game to secure the title. They face Ballyhaunis next Monday at 3.30pm at home.
A large crowd turned up in Westport to cheer on the home side and they were treated to a superb display by their team.
This was the third meeting of these two teams in the last twelve months, with Westport coming out on top on all three occasions. But the matches are always keenly contested, and Sunday's was no different.
The opening exchanges were fast and furious and the amount of possession enjoyed by both teams was fairly even. But Westport soon took control; their slick passing movements splitting open the Ballinrobe defence on several occasions.
Westport had numerous opportunities to get the opener in the first twenty minutes, but each time the Ballinrobe rearguard somehow managed to stand firm.
A mistake by Ballinrobe goalkeeper Denise Horan, who picked up the ball from a throw, gifted the home side their first goal midway through the half. The close-range free-kick was met on the head by Sinead Hastings, who dispatched the ball to the back of the net.
Five minutes later the same player was on target again, this time weaving her way past two defenders before shooting low to the bottom right-hand corner.
Westport were well in control at this stage and they continued to attack at will. Though the young Ballinrobe side battled bravely they were unable to get through the Westport defence, where Mary Mulchrone was outstanding.
The game effectively ended as a contest five minutes into the second half when Mulchrone lofted a long-range free-kick into the top right-hand corner. It was a superb goal, worthy of any top striker, but converted with ease by the central defender.
Ballinrobe did manage to get the ball in the Westport net late in the game, but Denise Horan was adjudged to have been offside when the ball was played through.
Westport's overall team performance was excellent, with equally good individual displays from Claire O'Grady, Linda Barrett, Mary Gill, Linda Cameron, Sinead Hastings and, of course, Mary Mulchrone.
Ballinrobe's cause was best served on the day by Mary McGrath, Joyce O'Hara, Aine Casey, Gemma Feerick, Niamh Hennelly and Maeve-Ann O'Reilly.

Westport: Collette Ryan, Aileen Keane, Mary Mulchrone, Claire O'Grady, Claire Mortimer, Linda Barrett, Noreen Walsh, Ann Heraty, Mary Gill, Sinead Hastings, Linda Cameron.
Subs used: Helen Mulhall, Karen Warde, Roisin Scanlon.

Ballinrobe: Denise Horan, Gemma Naughton, Mary McGrath, Majella Forde, Joyce O'Hara, Gemma Feerick, Marie Flanagan, Aine Casey, Joanne Walsh, Niamh Hennelly, Patricia Moran.
Subs used: Maeve-Ann O'Reilly, Aisling Concannon, Cora Staunton, Jacqueline Moran. 


Soccer: Ballina girls into last four

WFAI Under-16 Semi-Final
Ballina Town 2, Gurteen Celtic 1

LADIES soccer in Mayo received a further boost when the Ballina under-16 girls team qualified for the WFAI semi-final following a great victory against Gurteen Celtic of Sligo.
Inside the opening minute, Ballina’s Aoife Herbert tried her luck from inside the Celtic penalty box. However, Herbert’s effort went inches over Lavin’s crossbar.
Ballina need not have worried as three minutes later, the hosts went in front.
A long ball from the
Ballina midfield found Lesley Gaughan. Gaughan applied a deft touch, which in turn set-up Sade Bowdry who from inside the penalty box, gave Lavin no chance with a fantastic finish to the
corner of the net.
On eleven minutes, a mazy run by Ballina’s Rebecca Walshe, resulted in the striker crossing a dangerous ball which rolled in front of the goal line and was eventually cleared by a relieved Celtic defence.
Thirty-three minutes had elapsed when Ballina came close to scoring once again. Laura Gallagher received the ball twenty-five yards from the Celtic goal. Gallagher let fly and her effort was saved by an alert Lavin.
Such was Ballina’s
dominance of the opening half, that coach Harry McCafferty must have been wondering why his side had not climed at least a further three goals.
Five minutes into the second half, the hosts were made to pay for not turning their dominace into goals during the first half. A lucky break by Gurteen, resulted in Aileen Connolly receiving the ball, twenty yards from Christina Flannelly’s goal.
Connolly cut inside and chipped the ball over a stranded Flannelly much to the delight of the Celtic management.
However, Ballina Town were not to be outdone and scored what proved to be the winner after sixty-three minutes. The hosts were awarded a free-kick just outside the Gurteen penalty box. Laura Gallagher stepped up and fired a cracking free past
a bemused Lavin and
Ballina advanced to the last four of the WFAI cup.

Ballina Town: C. Flannelly, E. Feeney, A. McLean, L. Gallagher, L. Barrett, L. Gaughan, A. Herbert, B. Staunton, R. Walshe, S. Bowdry, A. Collins. Subs: C. Comiskey for R. Walshe (half-time), O. O’Dowd for L. Gaughan (inj61).
Gurteen Celtic: E. Lavin, S. Casey, C. Foley, S. Maye, S. Tyrell, T. Burraws, K. Toher, K. O’Grady, E. O’Callaghan, A. Connolly, E. Gallagher. Subs: E. Golden for K. Toher (67), S. McKeown for T. Burraws (71).
Referee: M. McKee. 


Soccer: Ballinrobe joy as Ballina girls suffer heartbreak yet again

Mayo Ladies’ Soccer Cup Final
Ballinrobe town 2, Ballina Town 0

A cold day, two top teams and a perfect pitch were the main ingredients in this highly entertaining Cup Final in Castlebar on Sunday.
It was to be Ballinrobe’s day in the end although the displays from both teams were enough to suggest that these two could meet in many a Cup final to come over the next few years.
It was bitterly cold at Milebush but it didn’t stop the game from beginning at a high-paced quick tempo and it was typical end-to-end cup football with neither team stamping any real authority on proceedings.
Ballina had a couple of early half-chances but they were forced to work hard at the back as well with Laura Gallagher putting in some fine tackles to quell some of Ballinrobe’s attacking forays.
Emma Mullin and Rachel King settled into the game early for ’Robe and the latter notched the opener after 26 minutes to give her side a lead that they would never relinquish. Ballinrobe had a good build up of play on the right and when the ball arrived at King’s feet she perfectly chipped the on-rushing keeper and it was no less than the south Mayo team deserved as they were the more patient of the two teams in the opening exchanges. Ballina manager Harry McCafferty wasted no time in introducing two early substitutes in Jackie Mulligan and Aoife Herbert and both made positive impacts. Ballina finally began to put together some structured passages although worryingly for McCafferty, they seemed intent on allowing their more skillful opponents plenty of time and space on the ball which is a not a recipe recommended for cup ties such as this.
Their good work was undone before the break when Ballinrobe scored again. It contributed into turning an already difficult task into an arduous challenge as they faced the break two goals down to a team well on top in the game. The goal itself was the product of some fine linking play by King and captain Triona O’Toole and it was the skipper who found the back of the net, much to her side’s joy. Ballina could only have themselves to blame at half time as their hesitant defending let players like King, Mullin and Katie Walsh in the middle, have it all their own way for the most part.
Ballina needed goals in the second half and to their credit they went about their task as best they could and they were the more adventurous side for the remainder of the game. It wasn’t so much that Ballinrobe sat back to protect their lead, but it was more a case of players like Jackie Mulligan, Aine McLean and Sade Bodrewy were more purposeful on attack than they had been and they were unlucky not to have at least pulled one back before the whistle.
Mulligan, home for the game on a break from her scholarship in West Georgia, seemed the most likely to score in that second half and she created at least one clear-cut chance that forced a fine save from Aishling Concannon. It was Mulligan again who cut down the left and put a perfect cross across the face of goal but crucially none of her team mates could connect with the pass and a couple of more chances from McLean and Laura Gallagher also went astray.
For Ballinrobe, Katie Walsh was excellent in the second forty-five while Emma Mullin was rock-solid when they needed her most. Ballina can take heart in good performances from the likes of Laura Gallagher and Aoife Herbert but they were second best on the day and the pill was even harder to swallow at the final whistle as they contemplated their second consecutive cup final loss. 


Casey strike gives Gurteen first title

Ladies Soccer – Mayo Senior Cup Final

Gurteen Celtic 1, Ballina Town 0

A SUPER strike ten minutes before half-time by Emer Casey proved decisive as Gurteen Celtic captured the Mayo Senior Cup for the first time in their history. Ballina Town were playing in their first final at this level and, while they will be disappointed with the outcome, there was sufficient quality in their play to suggest that they will be regular visitors to Milebush for such occasions.
Gurteen just about deserved their victory. They created numerous openings, particularly in the second half, but a combination of superb shot-stopping by Deirdre Devine and poor finishing meant that they were left to live on their nerves in the last quarter.
That was probably Ballina’s best phase of the game. The Mayo team monopolised possession late on but they found it very hard to break down a strong Gurteen defence that was well marshalled by Mary Hannon and Sarah Tyrell. When they did get behind them Katrina Connolly proved impossible to beat in the Gurteen goal.
She didn’t have an awful lot of actual saves to make but her decision-making and her control of the penalty area was hugely impressive. One save ten minutes from time summed her game up; dashing from her line to thwart Olivia McGloin at the edge of the area when any hesitancy by the ‘keeper could have been fatal.
The only goal of the game was well finished by Casey but it had its roots in indecisive defending by Ballina. The losers had at least two opportunities to clear the ball before it broke to Casey just outside the area. Her pace took her clear of the cover and her low left-footed effort just beat Deirdre Devine before nestling in the net.
Gurteen’s play just about merited the lead. Casey had an earlier effort just wide and Louise Brett also went close. But it wasn’t all one-way traffic and Ballina also had their moments with some nice build-up play troubling the Gurteen defence. However, their problem was with the final ball and creating real openings.
After Casey’s strike the Sligo team grew in confidence and a lightning break by the goalscorer ended with a Louise Brett strike hitting the side-netting. Ballina started the second half in determined fashion and the very impressive Imelda McNulty went close after a great run with a shot that went inches over the bar.
Ballina continued to make the running but found it hard to get past the strong Gurteen defence. Their commmitment to pulling the goal back meant that they were vulnerable to the counter-attack and with the Gurteen attack having pace in abundance that threat was always there. Casey really should have wrapped it up when she was clean through on more than one occasion, while chances also fell the way of Emer Tansey.
But their failure to add a second left Gurteen hanging on somewhat near the end. Ballina forced three late corners but failed to trouble Connolly in the Gurteen goal. Olivia McGloin’s run looked threatening until the ‘keeper’s decisive intervention while a free kick from Carra Cooke deflected off a Gurteen defender but Connolly collected it high under her crossbar as Gurteen held on for their first title.
Gurteen: K. Connolly, S. Maye, P. Coleman, M. Hannon, S. Tyrell, G. O’Gara, A. McTiernan, E. Tansey, E. Grady, L. Brett. Subs: A. Connolly for McTiernan (55 mins.); S. Feeney for Grady (70 mins.); A. Frizzell for Maye (80 mins.).
Ballina: D. Devine, C. Cooke, P. Timlin, C. Collins, A. McClean, L. Collins, H. McCafferty, M. McHale, I. McNulty, O. McGloin, J. Mulligan.
Referee: T. Cosgrove. Linesmen: L. McEntee, M. Roughneen. 


Soccer: S & F through to cup final

S&F Utd 2, Eureka Kells 1(After Extra Time)

Straide & Foxford Ladies soccer team gave a performance of heart and determination in Navan last Sunday to qualify for the final of the Under-18 Irish Cup.
In a tough encounter, played at the end of a long and tiring journey, the visitors started well and dominated the early exchanges. They had few clear-cut chances, Michelle Ruane coming closest in the first quarter with a long-range drive, following a fine pass from Audrey Dinan.
Jessica Galligan caused problems for the home defence from an early stage, making attacking runs up the right side of the pitch and delivering perfectly-weighted crosses.
Despite their superiority, S & F failed to score in the first period and the teams remained tied at 0-0 when the half-time whistle went.
In the second half the Mayo girls didn’t have things all their own way. Kells threw everything at them in a bid to snatch a goal, and their efforts were rewarded in the 55th minute when a corner was headed past a helpless Niamh Devanney, who had earlier made a superb save to prevent her goal from being breached.
The locals were flying high and with a one goal cushion behind them, became more confident and adventurous. But the S & F defence held firm, with the entire back four of Heather Jordan, Deirdre Ruane, Lisa Higgins and Roisin Guiry performing magnificently.
S & F kept pushing forward in search of the equaliser and their hard work paid off ten minutes from time when a long ball into the box was handled by a Kells defender and a penalty was awarded. Michelle Ruane has a good eye for goal and her penalty strike was perfectly placed into the back of the net. S & F were back in the game and held out till the end for a 1-1 draw.
With weary limbs the two teams headed for extra time, the first half of which was evenly balanced. Both teams attacked, looking for the initiative, but neither side succeeded.
Then, with four minutes remaining at the end of extra-time, a Michelle Ruane cross was met first time by Petraea Jordan and finished to the net for the winner. It was no more than the Mayo side deserved after a brave performance.
They now face Lifford of Clare in the final, probably on September 8th, at a venue yet to be decided.

Straide & Foxford: N. Devanney, H. Jordan, D. Ruane, R. Guiry, L. Higgins, J. Galligan, A. Dinan, R. Nolan, A. Hanahoe, M. Ruane, P. Jordan. Subs: C. O’Brien, S. Byrne, E. Galligan, M. Coleman, L. Dinan. 


Division 1 league final 2005

Soccer: Title glory for Kilmore girls

Mayo FA Ladies’ Division 1 Shield Play-Off Final
Kilmore Ladies 2, Manulla Ladies 1
In Milebush Park.

Kilmore Ladies won the Divisional Shield for the first time on Saturday week last with an impressive display when they overcame a strong challenge from a good Manulla side in Milebush. Both teams have won promotion to the Premier Division, where, from the way both teams played this season, they will more than hold their own. This game was a good advertisement for Ladies soccer with both teams playing good football in front of a large following of supporters.
In the early minutes, Kilmore were on top and after only four minutes they were awarded a penalty after Sharon Burke won the ball in midfield and played it through to Elish Geraghty. As she turned the defender, she was brought crashing to the ground to leave the referee with no alternative but to give the penalty. Defender Una McCafferty stepped up to take the kick but her low shot was well saved by Manulla keeper Sandra Kenny.
Manulla took confidence from this let off and began to get into the game and the next chance fell to them when hard working midfielder Louise Mulready found Suzanne Culinane in the clear but her shot from twenty yards flew just wide of the goal.
On 23 minutes the deadlock was broken when Kilmore’s left back Leona Burke received the ball just inside her own half, she took a touch before playing the ball to Tina McCafferty who was in space just outside the area and she slipped the ball through to Elish Geraghty who used her pace to evade her marker before blasting the ball into the corner of the net.
Kilmore were now well on top and they also had the next chance three minutes later, Annette Gallagher won the ball in midfield and beat two players before chipping the perfect through ball to Elish Geraghty who found herself through on goal but her shot went just wide of the goal. Manulla had the better of the last fifteen minutes of the half and were unlucky not to score on two occasions when Suzanne Cuinane and Natalie Burke both shot wide of Sheila Thompson in the Kilmore goal. Manulla started the second half as they ended the first when on fifty minutes Sarah McIntyre shot from just outside the box came off the outside of the post and went wide.
Five minutes later Manulla’s two most impressive players combined to level the scores. Louise Mulready floated a freekick into the box and Suzanne Cuinane found herself in a little bit of space and controlled the ball well before turning on a sixpence and placing the ball past Sheila Thompson and into the bottom corner of the net.
After the goal Kilmore were by far the more dominant team, and they pushed forward with their midfielders and forwards combining well with some good passing and excellent running off the ball and on eighty-one minutes they got the winning goal their play deserved.
Tina McCafferty was fouled just outside the box on the left side of the pitch after some excellent play involving substitute Brid Murphy and Annette Gallagher. Aisling Fallon took responsibility and she floated the ball over the wall and into the area and it was Kilmore’s captain Sharon Burke who rose highest and headed the ball over everybody and into the back of the net.
From then on it was Kilmore who controlled the game with Breege Thompson and Una McCafferty staying strong at the center of defence and Annette Gallagher and Aisling Fallon holding the midfield together for the last few minutes to give Kilmore a deserved victory. Shortly afterwards Jermey Dee presented the divisional shield to Sharon Burke and the celebrations began as Kilmore Ladies won their first League Title.

Kilmore: S. Thompson, M.Walsh, B. Thompson, L. Burke, U. McCafferty, M. Lavelle, A. Gallagher, S. Burke, A. Fallon, T. McCafferty, E. Geraghty. Subs Used: B. Murphy for M. Lavelle, S. Togher for T. McCafferty and C. Coyle for L. Burke.

Manulla: S. Kenny, L. Roughneen, L. McDonnell, A.M. Grealis, N. Lundy, L. Mulready, N. Lavelle, A. Durkan, S. McIntyre, S. Cuinane, N. Bourke. Subs Used: C. Giblin for L. Roughneen(inj), A. Freyre for A. Durkan, O. Lavelle for N. Burke, L. Concannon for S. Cuinane and M. Giblin for N. Lavelle.
Ref:eree M. Halligan 

mary walsh cup 2006

Mary Walsh Cup
Ballinrobe Town F.C. 2 - Kilmore 1
In the first of the semi finals of the Mary Walsh Cup, the home team were lucky to come away with a narrow victory against a spirited Kilmore side.
When Emma Mullin gave the home team the lead after 20 minutes it looked like Ballinrobe would have it all their own way, but a combination of poor finishing by the home side, and good goalkeeping by the Kilmore stopper kept the game on a knife edge.
Marter Carter was introduced  for Ballinrobe in the second half and she gave her side renewed emphasis, and doubled the home teams lead with 20 minutes left to go when she was nicely set up by Tara Donnellan.
But Kilmore responded immediatly when Annie Lynskey cut through the Ballinrobe defence and finished well to set up a nail biting final 15 minutes.
Young Claire Flannely of Ballinrobe  was player of the match as she kept tabs on the dangerous Annie Lynskey for the majority of the game.